segunda-feira, 30 de maio de 2022

Two months in Dublin

So far Dublin has been a very welcoming city and my internship experience amazing! At first I was a little hesitant and scared about coming here by myself without having any previous experience living abroad but now I'm really happy about the choice I made.

Dublin is a beautiful cosmopolitan city located in the east coast of Ireland. The city is full of pubs, restaurants, shopping centers, etc and parks. Dublin is home to the biggest enclosed park within any capital city in Europe,  Phoenix Park. In this park we can also find deers and feed them carrots.


Dublin is well connected but public transport is very slow as traffic inside the city is very dense. There are two tram lines that run east to southwest and north to south that allow for easy travel within the city center. To commute from residential districts buses run 24h routes from different points of the city.

Wheather in Dublin is not as bad as I expected. Temperatures are cold and most of the days wind blows along the river but is not as rainy as I thought it'd be. Yesterday I took this picture as the sun was setting

 

I'm working at Freistil.it, a fully distributed company that focuses on flexible hosting of Drupal and Wordpress pages. As they don't have a physical office I work in DogPatch labs hot desking space, a wonderful startup hub located 5 minutes away from O'Conell Street. 


In Freistil my work is divided in two projects, the first one being about replacing the dashboard styles with TailwindCSS while the second focuses on docker and git deployement.


But don't be mistaken, most of the Erasmus experience doesn't revolve around work but around people and places.

Both David and me have met people from all around the globe: latinoamerica, USA, Italy, different parts of Spain, etc. and we are having a great time with them visiting differents places around Ireland, going out to pubs and clubs or just enjoying a beer (I'm more of a cider guy btw) together.


We have done a lot of tourism, both inside Ireland and outside it:

Flights from Dublin are really cheap as Ryanair main base is here so we took advantage of it and flew to London during the may bank holiday break for only 30 euros. Weather was really good (for London standards) and we had enough time in two full days to visit both the Natural History Museum and the British Museum as well as all the major tourist attractions of the city.



We will be travelling to Edinburgh next week with Nerea and a Paraguayan friend of us to check Scotland out of our to-do list.

Last weekend we visited Belfast and the Giant's Causeway with a guide. We liked it a lot and had a really good chance to practice listening English along the trip. Some photos of that day:

Nerea (a wonderful girl from Alicante I met this month)
and me on Dark Hedges.





I'm loving my time in Ireland and I'm sad that this is coming to an end (for now). Working abroad as an intern is one of the best experiences one can live and I highly recommend it to anyone that has the chance to enrole in the Erasmus+ program. 

2 comentários:

  1. I'm really happy that you are enjoying your stay in Ireland. This was a big challenge and your're doing it great. Congratulations! I'm sure you're going to love Edinburgh. Thanks for writing in English.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Sergio, thanks a lot for your post.
    Seeing your photos and reading your comments, I really want to visit Ireland again.
    Enjoy the experience!

    ResponderEliminar